Recently, we contacted Oki Sato, also known as Nendo. Oki is an emerging name in the field of design. He was born in Canada in 1977 and in 2002 completed his Masters in Architecture from Tokyo. He received numerous accolades in the same field, like in 2003 he won the Tokyo Designers Block (TDB) award, in 2004 he received Japanese Society of Commercial Space Designers (JCD), Rookie Award, Good Design Award, ELLE DECO International Design Award and so on. Rest, this email interview will reveal about his latent traits.
1. How did you first become interested in design?
Oki: I started to study Architecture in the Univ. without any reason, but soon I found it very interesting.
2. When did you decide to pursue design as a career and how did you go about it?
Oki: Milan Salone 2002.
I went to see the Milan Salone with some friends just after graduating the Univ. We were shocked and felt the possibility of design, and established a design firm ‘nendo’ with them.
3. Oki, how far have you been in capturing the ‘small moments’ from the lives of people?
Oki: Far enough!
4. Can you describe an evolution in your work?
We met Guillio Cappellini through this product.
5. Which of your projects has given you the most satisfaction?
6. Oki, is there a designer or architect from the past that has influenced you or that you particularly appreciate the work of?
Oki: There are too many. I cant choose one.
7. What about the contemporary designers and architects?
Oki: There are too many.
8. Any parting words of wisdom?
Oki: Enjoy everyday life.
9. Finally, we would like to have your thoughts on the Instablogs News Network and all its related sites. Which one is your favorite?
Oki: Gadgets category.
Now it’s time for some rapid fire questions:
1. What is the best moment of the day?
Oki: When I am eating SWEETS.
2. What music is on your iPod or radio?
Oki: Japanese pops.
3. Who would you like to design something for?
Oki: My friends.
4. How would you label/categorize your work?
5. Do you have a signature style? If yes, what are the hallmarks of your style?
Oki: Giving people a small moment.
There are so many small moments hidden in our everyday.
But we don’t recognize them and even when we do recognize them, we tend to unconsciously reset our minds and forget what we’ve seen.
But we believe these small moments are what make our days so interesting, so rich.
That’s why we want to reconstitute the everyday by collecting and reshaping them into something that’s easy to understand.
We’d like the people who’ve encountered nendo’s designs to feel these small moments intuitively.
That’s nendo’s job.
6. What’s next?
Please check our latest projects on the website, Nendo.
Before signing off, I’d like to thank Oki for taking time out to do an interview with us, it is greatly appreciated. Also, we’d like to wish him success for all his future endeavors.
Using either a bt broadband or a cheap yet fast dsl internet one can look up all the necessary things they need to launch a website. For instance cheap web hosting services that also provide data backup, or a website design from a company that sells various web site templates. A business software for site’s management and web design can also be bought. Or maybe even a laptop wireless internet card to do work without hassle from anywhere.